Allows access to Google's cloud storage service
Google Drive for Android is a client-side app for the Google cloud storage service, allowing you to access your cloud files or upload files and folders from your phone or tablet directly to your Google Drive. Never worry about losing files again--store your important files on redundant Internet servers. You can even set the app to automatically check your camera roll and upload new images and photos to your Google Drive. If you drop your phone off a bridge, you will still have all your family photos safely backed up to Google's servers.
Google offers all new users a whopping 5 gigabytes of storage space per Google account--far more than most competitors offer for free. You can easily share files by sending friends download links over social media or email--even files which are too large to be transmitted over email can now be shared via download links. The Drive desktop app will automatically sync new files to your drive.
On the downside, the Google desktop app often freezes and can slow down your processor with repeated failed attempts to upload files. Furthermore, it is very difficult to keep track of what files you have shared in the past and who you have shared them with. Finally, it is sometimes difficult to keep track of whether shared files are stored in your drive, a friend's, or both. Still, the Drive app is a powerful cloud client that can provide you with a sense of security knowing that your files are safe in the cloud.
- Access your cloud files from any device.
- Google offers all users 5 GB of free Internet storage space.
- Upload your camera roll to your Google Drive and automatically upload new pictures and videos as they come in.
- Save files for offline access.
- Easily share even the largest files with others with link sharing.
- Upload files and folders or create new Google Documents with the click of a button.
- Easily switch between multiple Google Drive accounts with fast user switching.
- File handling is not intuitive--when is a file in your drive and when is it in another's?
- The desktop app is less stable than the client apps of other cloud storage solutions.
- It is hard to keep track of what files you are sharing and with whom.
- Cloud storage raises security concerns for some users.
* We've simplified the way users share files with each other.
* Bug fixes and performance improvements